We found a day to finish this Kumeu deck staining job. The stain we used is Dulux Pine color our door deck stain. It took us half a day two men to strip and polish the deck, after that we blew away the dust; Another half a day we finished the staining. The full color will show after some exposure to sunshine.
How and why to tell if the woodwork was painted in oil?
This is important because painting latex over oil is a no-no. Latex paint will not adhere to the oil surface. It may look like it did, but the latex can be scraped easily off, or may peel off in some sections. Avoid this problem at all costs. You can easily investigate by using the instructions below:
- Take a cotton slab or cotton ball with an acetone based product such as a nail polish remover.
- Next rub the swab or cotton ball on an area of the jam, door, or wall lightly.
- Then look at the swab or cotton ball to see if it picked up a residue of paint, if it did so, it verifies the paint was latex. If nothing comes off that means it is an oil-based paint requiring extra preparation.
Keep in mind too that oil base paint was mostly done before the 1970’s, but I have seen it in some homes built in the 1970’s. Be careful with this, for example if you were to paint latex onto a previously painted oil surface , say on a door or jam, after it dries it can easily come off just by a fingernail lightly scratching on it. I once made a mistake painting over doors I thought were latex based, after drying I found out that the latex paint would come off in sheets. So with a putty knife I had to remove the new paint off about 8 doors both sides. That was a bad day, but once scraped off; I was able to repaint them after I properly prepared them.
How we clean and apply deck coating.
- STEP 1: Apply deck cleaner with a stiff bristled scrubbing brush or broom.This ensures your timber is clean of dust, dirt, wax, grease, tannins and oils before coating.
- STEP 2: Once dry, apply the coating liberally along the entire length of the boards. Aim to coat 2-3 boards at a time. Allow to dry and apply a second coat.
Our Best Practices.
- If we switching from oil to a water based coating, we test the suitability for re-coat by sprinkling the surface with water. If the water absorbs, the timber can be recoated with a water based coating. If the water beads on the surface, further weathering/or sanding is required to remove the coating.
- Preparation. We prepare your timber properly before is essential for a longer lasting beautiful finish.
- Wet Edge. Goldenland Painters always work along the length of the boards and maintain a wet edge
- Sunlight.We try to prepare and coat timber out of direct sunlight.
- End grain. We use a brush rather than an applicator to coat the end grain of your deck, in between boards and cut in at the closest possible point to the house.